Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kiwi Experience Day 1/2 - Not So Awkward Auckland

--------------------

KUL - AKL 

MH 131

19 Nov 9.30pm (KUL Local Time)

--------------------


Enrich points credited, Boarding Pass collected, off I was to Auckland International. 10 hours in Economy Class was not bad at all, it's more of something to enjoy. Airlines these days value their service so much that sometimes, well, economy class is more of a backpackers lodge of some kind. Especially on board Malaysian Airlines, cabin crew are friendly as ever, of course theres always 1 or 2 black sheeps of the family. 


Having the New Zealand main course on board - Potatoes, the substitution of Rice kinda meal, with slices of Chicken, I soon realised they were now serving meals with Stainless Steel utensils again. Heaps of turbulence were experienced across the Indonesian islands. It was barely impossible for me to even sleep for it's seats were, in this case, not really the beds you could sleep in. After that previous night, I could have even sleep standing. 


--------------------

Arrival Lane

Auckland International Airport

20th Nov 11.30am (AKL Local Time)

--------------------


Upon disembarkation, you'd immediately notice the strict biosecurity enforcement. Dogs were trained to sniff through all bags for any and every bio related products on the baggage collection carousel. Baggages, both checked-in and hand carried were checked and re-checked. 


It was a mere 10ºC outside yet dry. Low flying clouds could only mean, uhh, well something a meteorologist should know. 


Auckland, the city of sails, would easily be mistaken as the capital with 3/4 of their population being focused at Auckland. Not such, Wellington is the sole capital. Here, houses are moved, and I mean literally. You place an "order" of your house, you buy the land, and your house would be moved over after building. 


Houses here are built with mostly timber and surprisingly, they are not equipped to face the outside cold. Electric heaters are used. Air conditioners would be turned up to 32ºC (Common weather of Malaysia). Traffic give way to right turning traffics. Hey, it's a kiwi thing.


New Zealand however, is a fairly liberal nation with homosexual marriage, prostitution, soliciting and brothel keeping being legal. Driving age at 15, consensual sex age at 16 and drinking at the age of 18.


Shane, my driver/guide around was outside to help us find our feet. Neglected by how tired I was, the fresh green scenery was immediately noticed. Unlike Malaysia's North-South Highway, New Zealand roads take you through small towns and hills - the ever-forming cliffs of it's location right above the pacific ring of fire, make New Zealand hilly. I was brought to Auckland City Centre.


--------------------

First Ever

Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World

20th Nov 1.10pm (AKL Local Time)

--------------------


The first ever oceanarium ever built on it's concept of viewing underwater marine life from down below in a protected dome. It didn't fascinate me tho, having that anywhere possible, or it might just be me. Antarctic life however was cool. 


--------------------

Still Standing

SkyTower, Auckland

20th Nov 2.30pm (AKL Local Time)

--------------------


Oh my, the 20s lift that brings us up to the peak of SkyTower somehow entangles me in question on why lifts aren't built at that speed for my condo?! The panoramic view of Auckland was seen on top of SkyTower - popular places such as One Tree Hill, the Auckland University, et cetera. 


It was written on my to-do list to get some bunjee jumping in New Zealand, why didn't I do it on the SkyTower instead? I had locals telling me Taupo is gonna surprise me and so I'd listen, how long have I been in New Zealand anyway to decide on jumps?


--------------------

Kia ora kaiwhakatapoi! Haere mai kia a Whanau!

Rotorua

20th Nov 6pm (AKL Local Time)

--------------------


I was homeward bound at 3 towards Rotorua. The 3 hour tour gave me the chance to stretch my legs and sleep it through as a replenishment for yesterday's bad, bad, baaad flight.


It had always made me feel like I'm home being welcomed by Sandi and Mark's Whanau again, but I'm at a different homestay this time. Georgie and Ken were there to welcome me. Living at the beginning of the long stretch Te Ngae Road, their house was pleasant, warm, comforting. Just like how most of the kiwis know how to keep comfortable (Same Shirt, Different Day - Thats New Zealand alright). We weren't there as guests, we were part of the family. 


Kiwis are genuinely friendly and warm. They are like your distant cousins. You would rarely see jaywalking here. Also, all New Zealanders are obedient when it comes to traffic light. Unlike most Malaysian who treat the yellow light as go faster. Being a foreigner here, you'd truly feel welcomed.


Kiwis are also generally very open, I was shocked to see Maori greet others by rubbing their noses, but it didn't take long for me to get use to it. They can go barefooted walking down the street to a local supermarket or butcher and also start an open conversation. 


Schooling students here at New Zealand generally sleep at 8pm. Let all aside, I had my sleep with an electric blanket being so cosy. Needless to worry about jet lag that didn't overwhelm me, I dozed off the very minute I was on the bed.



No comments: