Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Address Book Crash Solution (Snow Leopard 10.6.2)

Snow Leopard has been bugging me for almost 3 weeks since I purchased it, no doubt. Frequent crashes when launching Mail, iCal, Address Book, Safari, you name it.

Thinking 10.6.2 update would solve my Address Book problem, I sit in front of my mac everyday, lumbering with whatever I can do that wouldn't crash on Snow Leopard while waiting for the update. Yes, I check software update everyday and frequently google 10.6.2 for the build updates - thats how much I rely on my Mac.

10.6.2 arrived yesterday, and to my dismay, it still crashes iCal and Address Book.
Came up with 2 useless solutions for me:

1) I thought a simple clean install would do the trick and it did...for until the next time I update Address Book.
2) Googled around and came to this. But I have never created Smart Groups before, so that was not for me.

But then out of desperateness
3) User / Library / Application Support / Address Book and literally TRASHED everything (except for MailRecents v4). It works for me.

*Note tho: I previously tried to bring back my whole address book content from Leopard by first making a back up, upgrading to Snow Leopard, then bring back my contents from the back up made. That crashed Address Book, but it did copy all the metadata (or contacts) and stored it in place. So by dumping everything and restarting Address Book, it somehow end up to bring back all my data without crashing. If you're starting off new, I recommend that you DO NOT try to bring back your contents from your back up after trashing everything, it might just mess up Address Book again, instead, do it before hand.

Update: 10.6.2 seems to be holding up pretty well actually. iCal, Address Book (after solution), Safari, Skype 2.8 and Mail aren't crashing anymore.

No comments: